Expanding Our Roots
Council of Forest Industries Post-Secondary Education Legacy Scholarships
For the last two years, the Council of Forest Industries Annual AGM and Convention has funded post-secondary education scholarships intended to encourage the next generation of leaders to choose a professional, technical or trades career in the forest sector.
Ten $1,000 scholarships are again available for 2009 to qualifying students planning to attend any one of the ten post-secondary educational institutions in BC's interior.
For more information, contact:
- Chris Lear, Forest Education Manager
COFI- Prince George Office
E-mail at: [email protected]
Phone: (250) 564-5136
- Debbie Bazett, Forest Educator
COFI- Kelowna Office
E-mail at [email protected]
Phone: (250) 860-9663
Federation of BC Woodlot Associations Student Scholarships
The FBCWA awards a $1,000 scholarship each year to a student related to a woodlot licensee and/ or a private forest land owner and is attending post-secondary education in a forestry related area of study. This past year’s recipient is Jordan Benner of Woodlot 1897, located on Quadra Island. He will be doing a Master’s degree in resource management and environmental management (forest ecology) at Simon Fraser University, and has been involved in the family woodlot since childhood.
Interior Logging Association Student Scholarships
Each year, four scholarships totaling $5000 are offered through the Interior Logging Association's Scholarship Program. The scholarships are open to graduating secondary students, or students already enrolled in college or university in any discipline, who are immediate relatives of ILA members or employees of member companies. The Forestry Scholarship is open to any graduating student in the ILA’s operating area. Candidates were to be enrolled in a full-time program at an accredited Canadian college, university or institute of technology.
Members or non-members of the Interior Logging Association with a family member or relative attending a college or university this year may apply. Applications close July 31, 2007.
The following scholarships are offered:
- $2,000.00 FORESTRY SCHOLARSHIP: Open to any graduating student in the ILA's operating area enrolling in full time studies in a forestry related discipline at a Canadian College or University or Vocational School.
- $1,000.00 MEMBER SCHOLARSHIP: Open to graduating secondary school students or students already enrolled in college or university in any discipline who are immediate relatives of ILA members and employees of member companies. Candidates must be enrolling in a full time program at an accredited Canadian College, University or Institute of Technology.
- $1,000.00 MEMBER TRADES SCHOOL SCHOLARSHIP: Open to students of an ILA member enrolling in a full time course at a British Columbia Trades School in Heavy Duty Mechanics, Professional Truck Driving or Heavy Duty Machine Operators Course, Welding Course or similar training program that leads to employment within the logging industry.
- $1,000.00 ASSOCIATES SCHOLARSHIP: Open to graduating secondary school students who are immediate relatives of an ILA member or member company employees. This scholarship is awarded to the ILA affiliated applicant with the highest academic standard enrolling in a Canadian College, University or Technical School as a full time student in a Business Administration discipline.
Applications postmarked later than July 31 will not be considered. Scholarships are awarded as soon as possible after the closing date of July 31 each year. Payment will be made upon confirmation of registration in a full-time program of studies. In the event that no candidate has reached an acceptable standard in any or all scholarship categories, the scholarship committee may elect not to make an award. They may also, at their discretion, make lesser awards to more than one candidate in a category.
< Back to Index Spring Camp Schedule - Silver Lake Forest Education >