Outstanding Resource Women of Honour Recognized
The third annual Women of Resource Communities Conference was held in Kamloops in October, where over 65 women from around the province gathered to learn more about BC’s resource sectors from industry and government leaders. At the conference opening reception, Chief Shane Gottfriedson, of the Kamloops Indian Band, welcomed delegates to the Tk’emlups Traditional Territory and provided an illuminating media presentation on the Band’s economic and cultural activities.
This year, the conference introduced the Outstanding Resource Women of Honour Awards, and nine women in agriculture, aquaculture, fisheries, forestry, mining, oil and gas, business, the non-profit sector and in a coastal, rural or resource community were recognized for their contributions to their industry and in their community.
Mayor Donna Barnett of the District of 100 Mile House was honoured for her longstanding dedication to her community, and for her leadership in addressing BC’s Mountain Pine Beetle devastation. Mary Sjostrom, Councillor with the City of Quesnel, presented Mayor Barnett with her Outstanding Resource Woman of Honour Award for Community Involvement, sponsored by Small Business BC.
Twenty two women in all were nominated for the Awards. Other 2007 Award recipients include
- Sandy McKellar, Truck Loggers Association and Canadian Women in Timber (Forestry), sponsor – Association of BC Forest Professionals
- Sarah Ryall, of Gipaanda Greenhouses, (Agriculture), sponsored by the BC Agriculture Council
- Sharon Dedominicis, Marine Harvest Canada, (Aquaculture), sponsor – BC Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences
- Linda Hawkshaw of Terrace, (Fisheries), sponsor – Ocean Industries BC
Sandy McKellar was one of the 2007
Resource Women of Honour award
recipients for her contributions to
the forest industry.
- Maureen Lipkewich, founder of the Mineral Resource Education Program of BC, (Mining), sponsor – Mining Association of BC
- Tracey Wolsey, Stakeholder Relations and Aboriginal Affairs Manager, Suncor Energy, (Oil and Gas), sponsor – Ocean Industries BC
- Janet Docherty, Merridale Ciderworks, (Business), sponsor – Women’s Enterprise Centre
- Janice Perrino, Executive Director, South Okanagan Similkameen Medical Foundation, (Non-profit sector), sponsor – First Dollar Alliance.
For information on past conferences, see
www.womenofbcresourcecommunities.org and www.firstdollar.ca
< Back to Index COFI Scholarship Information Posted >