Expanding Our Roots
Evans Lake Forest Education Centre
Dave Stevens, Executive Director
Evans Lake Forest Education Centre has been a popular destination for summer campers and school groups seeking Forest Education programs since 1960. Operated by the not-for-profit Evans Lake Forest Education Society, the Centre’s mandate is:
- To provide educational programs that will broaden the understanding of our forest resources, the role they play in our society, particularly with reference to the social, economic and environmental benefits.
- To promote understanding of the interdependence of trees, water, soils, and wildlife and the importance forests play in the economic, recreational, and social aspects of our daily lives.
- To provide a safe, comfortable, environmental outdoor learning experience for youth and adults.
The Centre is located 15 kilometres north of Squamish, BC on a picturesque mountain lake. Surrounded by the Coastal Mountains and a rich demonstration forest, the Centre offers a feeling of natural seclusion while featuring comfortable, basic amenities.
- Accommodation for 108 in cabins (sleeping bags required)
- Dining Hall (comfortably seats 110)
- Recreation Hall with fireplace & couches
- 234 hectare Demonstration Forest
- Waterfront and docks with separate areas for swimming & boating
- Fire pits, archery range, hiking trails, large grass field
Creative Forest Education Programming attracts students, campers and educators from many parts of British Columbia. Open year-round, Evans Lake serves over 5000 individuals each year through:
- Summer Camps for children and youth
- Outdoor Education Programs for School, College and University groups
- Winter Camp for children and youth
Summer Camping with a Difference
Each year, Evans Lake offers eight 1 week sessions of Summer Camp for children ages 8-12 and for youth ages 13-16. Our "Eco Fun" programs have campers going for a walk through the forest tracing the foot steps of animals; diving into the secret lives of trees; unlocking the secrets of the compass; paddling a canoe around the still waters of the lake; and challenging themselves to build a fire and an overnight shelter. "Eco Fun" Forest Education programs are designed to teach campers about trees, water, soils, wildlife, outdoor skills, and leadership. The program is taught by qualified instructors using hands-on activities, experiments, challenges, and games.
Older campers also have the opportunity to participate in Leadership Training and Outdoor Adventure Kamps (OAK) that feature backpacking trips into the local mountains followed by an adventure activity such as rock climbing, Ziptrekking or White-water Rafting.
Outdoor Education Programs for Schools
Evans Lake Forest Education Centre is an inspiring place to learn about the wonders of our Coastal Forests. Students of all ages, from pre-school to university, come to Evans Lake to live and learn in nature’s classroom. In addition to providing meals and accommodation, the Evans Lake Program Director is available to help educators plan and operate programs on-site. A program called "Exploring Forests" has been developed for school groups. This program offers many ideas on fun, educational activities for teachers to use before their trip, while at the Evans Lake Forest Education Centre and back in the classroom after the trip. In addition to Forest Education, the Centre also hosts outdoor recreation skills training; nature studies; team building workshops; leadership training; and science or music retreats.
Most summer campers and students find a week at Evans Lake creates memories and friendships that last a lifetime. The adventure of camp activities combined with learning the secrets of trees, water, soils, wildlife, outdoor skills and leadership with new found friends can a be very special part of a young person’s education and personal development.
We depend on Community Support
The Evans Lake Forest Education Society depends on support from members and donors to make the Centre a magical place. Please consider:
- Becoming a member of the Evans Lake Forest Education Society
- Volunteering on a working committee
- Donating time, money, and/or goods and services
- Participating in one of our work party weekends (Spring & Fall)
Please contact our office to let us know how you would like to help.
If you would like more information about Evans Lake Forest Education Centre, please visit our website at: www.evanslake.com or contact our office at 604-904-2221.
Evans Lake Forest Education Centre is accredited by the BC Camping Association.
< Back to Index Forest Education Resourcess >