Careers and Technology
- Students will observe the diverse role that technology
plays in extracting
a renewable resource... trees.
- Students will identify various careers
in forestry and use the computer to
research information on a career of their choice.
- Students will
have an opportunity to further their understanding of forest
- What types of technology or equipment do you think are used in
- Name some careers or jobs that you would see if you visited
- Can you name some careers that are related to or support the forest
Setting the Stage (approximately three 1 hour lessons)
- Day 1 – Have
students brainstorm to compile a list of logging-related
careers and a list of logging equipment. Follow this activity with
DVD “CLEM” and then revisit the brainstorming lists
to make additions.
Tell students they will later complete a question sheet
based on forestry
information learned in the video.
- Day 2 – Review computer research
skills to enable students to complete a
research project based on a career listed in
the brainstorming session or in
the list provided.
- Day 3 – (Optional) Students will share
their research with the class or in
- Overhead projector
- Create an overhead of the Forestry Career List
- TV/DVD player
- CLEM (DVD) - Computer Logging Education Module
- Tree Planter Picture
- CLEM Worksheets
- Forestry Career Internet Activity Pages
- Website list
- Glossary list
to Lesson 5 TOC