ACTIVITY 1 – JOBS IN FORESTRY
- Brainstorm the different types of jobs in the forest industry. Classify them into 2 categories:
Early Day and Modern Day. (record on board)
- Students record information from the board onto Worksheet “2a”
- Explain that they will be adding to this sheet throughout the next few periods.
ACTIVITY 2 - PICTURE ANALYSIS/LITERATURE
Part1: Picture Analysis – “Eary Loggers” picture & “Early Settlers
and the Forest”
Use the picture analysis as an introduction to the storybook.
- When do you think the picture was taken? (at least 100 years ago)
- What are these men doing?
- What do you notice about this picture? (Lead students to a discussion on tools, clothing,
“Early Settlers and the Forest” – front cover:
- Looking at the front cover, how do you know that settlers have been here a while?
(There is a town, dock, railway ties…)
Part 2: Storybook – “Early Settlers and the Forest”
Read the book out loud and discuss:
- Settlers & Clearing the Land
- Housing – log cabin, furniture, utensils, appliances
- Early loggers and transporting the logs
- Early sawmills
- Add jobs to Worksheet “2a”
- Worksheet “2b” – individual or class activity. List early uses of lumber mentioned in the
- Worksheet “2c”
« Return to Index Lesson 3 »